Friday, December 7, 2012

Interview with Ashley Davis

This is an interview with Ashley Davis. She is a Senior at The University of Texas at Dallas and is an Arts and Technology major. She is studying Computer Animation to become a modeler and texture artist. I wanted to get her insight on the Juniors and how she compared them to the Seniors. 

  • TC: How do you feel about the quality of cartoons today compared to what they were back then?
    AD: Style and content has changed dramatically, due to the change in audiences. Back then of course, the technology was very simple; now that we have moved from basic cell animation and transition to digital, the cartoons are a lot clearer and the amount of creativity we can accomplish is not within reach. Today they are even incorporating 3D with 2D cartoons now—which is really cool.

  • TC:Give an example of one modern cartoon of today that you enjoy watching and why?

  • AD: The Legend of KoraI've always been a big fan of The Last Aribender. This cartoon really stuck out the most from all the other modern cartoons. I'm a big person when it comes to story-lines, even in the games I play. If it doesn't have a good storyline, I won't watch or play it. The story was very historical. As a past martial artist myself, I was very interested in the different fighting styles. As an artist, I was pulled in by the landscapes and scenery. Everything was drawn really well and as a whole it really got me wanting more. I was very excited when I heard that The Legend of Kora was about to happen, 
    • TC: Give me an example of a modern cartoon you hate, and Why?

    • AD: Gah! That is a hard one. I'm very open to all cartoons!!! If I had to pick one...I would say Danny Phantom. I dont' hate it, I just find it hard to follow sometimesMost cartoons have episodes leading each other, adding some important story content to the next. In Danny phantom, It was kind of hard to find that flow. The episodes were fine. I just wish it had more story depth. It has the potential to go deeper. Then again I'm just a deep person so I can't make the show change just to fit my perspective 

      TC: Give me an example of an old school cartoon you liked to watch and Why?

    • AD: Courage the Cowardly Dog! Oh my goodness, I absolutely love that show! It scared the crap out of me, but I loved it anyways. I was a scary person myself back in the day. I Still am. I related to courage because he would defeat the odds and save the people he loved. I think that is what is lacking from cartoons nowadays, morals. It's all funny, and there is nothing wrong with that, but sometimes it's good to put in there a couple of life lessons. Courage the Cowardly Dog definitely did that; in its overly drastic ways. Plus it was hilarious the way he reacted when he got scared, priceless! 

    • TC: How do you feel about the future for modern cartoons?

      AD: It's bright, for sure. With the advancement of new technology and new generations of artist, there will be a wave of new idea's, new way of doing animation and creative ways of telling stories. However, even though we are going into the 3D world, we must not forget our 2D roots. Sometimes, people lose sight that everything actually started with just pencil and paper. In many ways, we still do that today, just with a twist.

    • TC: Ok, What I have noticed over the years, is that a lot of people have appealed to cartoons with dark humor, violence, sex and vulgarity. Why do you think that is?

    • AD: People are starting to find out that cartoons aren't just for kids anymore. Even the cartoons that are obviously for 10-14 age groups have little bits of adult humor in it. I can't really see the problem in it. If it was specifically made for adults or it's known that there is adult content in it. I think it can be relieving for people to see cartoons as innocent. They do stupid things cause they don't know any better; that is probably why some parents don't let their kids watch them. In a way, that is true. Now that adult themes are being introduced, the game has changed. Cartoons aren't stupid anymore. They're "smart" in a sense that they re-enact how normal adult people would react in certain situations. The difference is, for humor they make things overly violent, overly vulgar. It's funny, because normal adults wouldn't react that way and we don't' take it literally. I like that a younger audience will watch it; I actually prefer that...to an extent.

      For example, The Boondocks. That is an adult show, with adult content but its funny.They take real world situations or adaptations to certain situations and put a funny spin on it, that I can handle. In the end, It all depends on the cartoon. Plus, as kids turn into teens, then from teens to adults, I think it is appropriate that cartoons mature along with the audiences. I mean... I don't watch Barney anymore.That was for a younger audienceI'm older know and I want something I can relate to.

      TC: Do you think that the vulgarity is what makes the cartoons funnier than the watered down, safe cartoons? Or do you think they're equally funny?

    • AD: It can be, if used right. I like cartoons that do it tastefully. If a cartoon overdoes it, I lose interest. A balance between watered down and vulgar versions is a happy medium. Anything more or less and it's either way too adult, to the point were is can be XXX or I'm seriously questioning my age. I go back to the Boondocks example. Yes, cursing is involved, but you don't hear it 20 times in the same sentence. Another one is Samurai Champloo. Adult, yes. Violent, yes. Humor, definitely...the cursing is tasteful and accepted.The storyline has to take the lead if mature content is involved. Everything else is just an additive. 

    • TC: From my research, I've noticed that a lot of people online and in person, bash a lot of modern cartoons without giving them chance. Do you think that since our generation grew-up with the older cartoons, that they're more inclined to discredit the newer ones?

      AD: I don't think so. If they do, then they are closed minded. It's only when you appreciate the past that you open to the present or should I say the future. If anything, I have a greater appreciation of it. When I was little, I found out how cartoons were made.It was amazing! So much imagination came from the fingertips of artist back then; they were willing to spend countless hours behind a light box and draw characters frame by frame, just to get a desired effect. Now, the need for that is little to none. That opens up for more creations to be made in the smallest amount of time...that just makes it possible to get more crazy idea's out in the open. So my answer is no. I'd give credit. At some point, they too had to do something the hard way; that is the only way you can appreciate the easy.

    • TC: Ok, great! From an ATEC perspective—Arts and Technology Major perspective—when watching the premier show of a new cartoon, what's the first thing you evaluate?

    • AD: The look. I used to believe looks aren't everything, but geez! They say "don't judge the book by its cover", how else are you going to opened it and read the pages? Same thing for a good cartoon. Looks set the mood. It is part of the story and helps aid in storytelling. Looks my not be everything I agree, but it's the first thing you look at...we all do it. Animators will judge how a characters' movements "look" like. Riggers will judge the characters' to see if the mechanics "look" right. Textures artist (myself) will notice how well scenes "look". It's not till after, that we start getting technical with it and really find the good and the bad.

    • TC: Cool! Thank you so much Ashley. You've given me some really good insight.

    • AD: No problem! 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment